Bethany Baptist Church 

 

 



 


History
 

Bethany’s history is filled with God’s blessings and provisions, and the involvement of many people down through the years. We are grateful for God’s faithfulness to us on the corner of Pape and Cosburn. While this brief history hardly seems to capture of vitality of our caring community down through the years, a few markers are worth noting:

 

1916  

Bethany’s Sunday School began out of the home of Mr. & Mrs. Collins, 121 Gowan Avenue.

 

1918

Church was established under the name of Todmorden Baptist Church. Met at the home of the Collins under the leadership of student-pastor Dixon Burns.

 

1920

Congregation made its way from 121 Gowan Avenue one Sunday, walking east on Gowan and then north on Pape while singing: “Onward Christian Soldiers”. Held the first of many services on the corner of Pape and Bee (now Cosburn).

 

1922

Church’s name changed to Bethany Baptist Church.

 

1958

Addition to church completed and dedicated to God. Former sanctuary turned into a gym with the addition of the new sanctuary and lower hall (with stage) and kitchen.

 

1996

Bethany’s present pastor, Rev. Jim Parker, and family began at Bethany.
 

1997

First meeting of BLAST Youth Group. First of many bus trips.
 

2002

Installed data projector to show worship songs and video clips on our screen during Worship Services.  
2003

Provided first of many meals for Habitat for Humanity Build. 
 

2005

Wheelchair ramp dedicated at “ribbon-cutting” ceremony. Hosted first Pape Village Christmas Concert.
 

2006

Founding church of the East York Strategy, an initiative to reduce crime and create good in the East York-Danforth community.
 

2007

Established the first website for Bethany Baptist Church.

 



 

 

Address: 1041 Pape Aveenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M4K 3W1
Telephone: (416) 425-9472
Web feedback: Webmaster@bethanychurcheastyork.com